Google
 

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

On Strike!

Ok, loyal, Lostophiles. I lied (twice) in my last post. First, I said I would not post again before the birth of my daughter. Well, she's now five days late and counting, and blogging sure does wile away the time...

Second, I suggested that this blog is no place to take a side in the WGA strike that is shutting down television (and, to a lesser extent, film) production in L.A. Well, I'm here to proudly state that I am taking a stand. I'm putting all the considerable muscle of this blog (deluded much?) into supporting the writers in this battle.

As a fan of episodic television, I feel the need to acknolwedge that it's the writers who make us come back each week. Taking nothing away from the fine actors, cinematographers and editors who contribute brilliantly, if there's no story, there's no audience.

And the online Lost fan community already acknowledges this more than the fans of most shows. After all, we refer to co-creator and co-executive producer Damon Lindelof, and co-executive producer Carlton Cuse (pictured here, on the picket line) as "the Powers that Be." And as Cuse's sign notes, it's the writers who will ultimately unlock the island's secrets.

Again, you all saw how I came out in favor of Michael Emerson's Emmy nomination, how I raged at Elizabeth Mitchell's Emmy snub, how I lauded the editing that went into "Through the Looking Glass" as the finest TV has seen in years, and how I warmly congratulated Terry O'Quinn on his Best Supporting Actor Emmy victory. But it's Damon and Carlton, and Brian K. Vaughn and the rest of the writing staff that makes Lost so singularly compelling.

The same is true for other TV series. Sure, 24 might lean more heavily on the acting and the second-unit direction, and Pushing Daisies and Heroes may lean more heavily on the visual elements, but if the scripts didn't speak to us, we would not tune in each week (or catch up later on our DVRs or DVD players).

Alas, I've come to a realization. It is the studios that benefit most from the hype that the online fan community creates with blogs such as this one. We bloggers and fansite creators stoke others' interest, and do our little part to keep them consuming the product for which the writers are, frankly, not fairly compensated.

Because of this, I am now "on strike" in support of the Writers Guild of America. I will not blog about the "Missing Pieces" shorts appearing on abc.com, or about spoilers leaking from the production of Season 4. I will not go forward with my Master Theory of Lost. And I will not take any action on this blog to support the studios, directly or indirectly, until they resolve this conflict in good faith.

I'm not calling for a boycott, and I'm not even going to suggest that I myself will quit consuming new entertainment product during the strike. I just will not contribute new content, much as the writers are not contributing new content, until the strike is over and the Powers that Be are back at work.

Until then, carry on, Lostophiles. I look forward to seeing you all again in the future.

2 comments:

dhurwitzesq said...

A better way to wile away the time would be to get your pregnant wife a veggie reuben and some chocolate milk.
-The Wife

Adam said...

hey dan. this is e2, from LU. i responded to you over there, so i will spare you with it here. your actions seem noble and well intentioned. and you should be commended for your support of the writers.

but just admit it: you can't finish your master theory. nobody is going to think any less of you. just come clean and admit it already.

oh, and yes, get your wife a damn veggie reuben. she deserves it. and congratulations in advance on the impending birth of your child. papa hurwitz, esq. it has a nice ring to it.